- Sticks/Willow twigs
- Masking tape
- Wet strength tissue paper
- Decorations e.g coloured paper & glitter
- PVA glue (mixed with water to a ratio 1:1)
- Brush or Sponge
- 1 x torch or some battery powered tea lights
- 1 x lantern stick
- Make any 3D shape from the willow and tape the ends and points together where the sticks join, ensuring you make strong joints.
- Strongly fix a bamboo pole through the centre of the Lantern to carry it above the head. Alternatively tie a loop of string from the top point to hold / tie the lantern on a bamboo pole like a fishing rod. This is also the attachment point for the torch at a later date.
- Fix the 3D Lantern frame to a table or chair so it is sturdy.
- Saturate one side of a square of wet strength white tissue paper with the PVA solution using a sponge and lay the tissue over your frame. Repeat this process until the entire frame has been covered, making sure that each tissue square is overlapping.
- Decorate your lantern with coloured paper or glitter.
- Leave to dry.
- Lastly, attach a torch or battery powered tea lights to the pole with tape so it shines upwards and enjoy the parade!
Lantern Making Packs
Due to demand Lantern Making Packs will be available from the BID Leamington Office and from workshop venues (suggested donation £3) so you and your family can make them at home. This will include detailed instructions, a bundle of withy, a bamboo carrying pole, some wet strength white tissue paper and some coloured paper. You can purchase masking tape, pva glue and torches from local retailers.
The BID Leamington Office is open Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm (cash only). For more information phone us on: 01926 470 634 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit us at:
35C Park Court,